Masroor Badshah, Roger Soames, Javed Nawab, Farhan Abbas Baloch, Jehanzeb Khan, Jamshed Hasnain.
The Anatomical Relationship Of Cystic Artery To Calot`s Triangle.
J Med Sci Jan ;24(4):199-201.

Objective: To study the origin of cystic artery and its anatomical variations related to Calot’s triangle. Material and Methods: A retrospective analysis of surgical anatomy data of the patients who underwent surgeries for different lesions in the hepatobiliary region was carried out between August 2013 and October 2014 at Peshawar Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) Hayatabad, Peshawar, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), Pakistan. Evaluation of data entry into Excel was done, using validity checks, following which it was exported to SPSS version 19.0 for analysis. Results: It was observed that in 61 (92.4%) of the cases the origin of cystic artery was normal i.e. from right hepatic artery and variations were seen in the remaining 5(7.6%) of cases. It was also noted that in 44(66.5%) of patients, cystic artery entered the Calot’s triangle, while in 21(32%) of patients the course of the cystic artery was outside the Calot’s triangle. Most of the cystic arteries that were passing through the Calot’s triangle had their origin from the right hepatic artery 42(95.5%), while 2 cases were of common hepatic artery origin (4.5%). Conclusion: Further research should be conducted in order to understand the anatomical variations of cystic artery to avoid injuries to the blood vessels and biliary system while performing various hepatobiliary procedures.

PakMediNet -Pakistan's largest Database of Pakistani Medical Journals -