Fauzia Naz, Zafar Ali Chaudhry, Anwar ul Haq, Abdul Ahad, Zulfiqar Ali Chaudhry, Waseem Ahmad.
Abdominal Tuberculosis - A Review of 25 Cases.
Ann King Edward Med Uni Jan ;5(2):180-3.

Twenty five cases of abdominal tuberculosis managed over a period of 15 months (from February 1998 to May 1999) were analysed. Majority of the patients were young females. In 19(76%) patients the diagnosis was established after laparotomy or later on by histopathology. The remaining 6(24%) patients were diagnosed by supportive investigations. The commonest site of involvement was distal ileum.. Unlike other studies, ileostomy was the most frequently performed operation in 5/19 (26%) patients. Other procedures were omental biopsy, simple repair of perforation, adhesiolysis, resection with end to end anastomosis, right hemicolectomy and ileotransverse bypass. Favourable response was seen in patients with ileostomy and right hemicolectomy. The overall mortality rate in our series was 20%. Ciprofloxacin was found to be a reliable antituberculous drug in patients who could not be given first line drugs (Rifampicin, INH).

PakMediNet -Pakistan's largest Database of Pakistani Medical Journals - http://www.pakmedinet.com